3 Golden Rules
Our golden rules for safe online banking
To help you keep your online banking activity more secure, we recommend that you follow some sensible rules:
- Protect your computer from malicious programmes
- Don't save your Login ID and password
- Keep your PIN and password confidential
Protect your computer from malicious programmes
Besides destroying important information on your computer, some viruses and malicious programmes such as Trojan Horse may capture your password without your knowledge. These programmes are often disguised as normal files. To avoid getting infected, you should:
- Never download any file from questionable websites (programmes, games, pictures, etc) or people (e.g. email attachments).
- Never use features in your programs that automatically get or preview files.
- Install a personal firewall and virus detection software. You should also update your software frequently.
Disable the preview mode in your email programs.
Don't save your Login ID and password
Some browsers store and list possible matches from words or entries that you have typed previously. You can prevent any Login ID and passwords from being stored in your browser by deactivating the function before you begin your Internet session.
How to deactivate the function (Internet Explorer):
- Click "Tools"
- Select "Internet Options"
- Click "Content".
- Select "Personal Information" and click "AutoComplete".
- Uncheck "User names and passwords on forms" and click on "Clear Passwords".
- Click on "OK" to save your settings
- Click "Edit"
- Select "Preferences"
- Click "Privacy & Security"
- Select "Passwords"
- Uncheck "Remember passwords" under "Password Manager"
- Click "OK" to save your settings
Keep your Login ID and password confidential
Do not reveal your Login ID or Password to anyone. RHB Bank staff will never ask for your Login ID/SignOn Password for any reason.
Do not write down your Login ID and Password or use it when someone can see it.
Do not choose a Login password that is easy to guess such as your Login ID, telephone number, identification number or birth date. Also, avoid using repeated or sequential numbers like 111111 or 654321.
Change your Login password often. You can easily change it online at RHB Internet Banking site.
If you suspect your Login Password has been compromised, change it as soon as possible.
Avoid using your birth date or name as your Login ID or Login Password. Password should be alpha numeric i.e. Bookmark38
Avoid storing passwords on your computer.
Do not set up your computer so it ‘autocompletes’ or saves your Login Password i.e. – do not tick the “remember this password” box.
Do not use the same password on Internet banking as telephone banking.
Apart from the steps mentioned above, you should also be aware that there are several ways a fraudster can retrieve your Login ID or Login Password. These include phishing, hacking, retrieving hard-copy documents, looking over one's shoulder and loading malicious software for example viruses into your computer.